Do you have a good eye for errors in text and know your grammar inside out? If yes, lots of online proofreading jobs from home are waiting for you.
You can earn good money by proofreading books, blogs, academic papers, websites, etc. There’s huge demand for this, and many people are already working from home as proofreaders.
Skills required for Online Proofreading Jobs From Home
Proofreading is the easiest type of editing because you’re not re-working text, or re-arranging content. Usually the last step in the writing/editing process, it involves reviewing the final draft of a piece of writing to ensure consistency and accuracy in grammar, spelling, punctuation, and formatting.
Below are some skills and personal qualities that proofreaders need to have:
- accurate and attentive to details
- high level of skill in written language, including spelling, grammar and punctuation
- good at concentrating for long spells
- motivation to work on their own, and to meet deadlines
- comfortable working with computers
- have an eagle eye when it comes to small details
- ability to work within the style of the author, publisher, or client
Pay Estimates for Online Proofreading Jobs From Home
The hourly rate for proofreading jobs ranges from $10 to $35, depending on your skill level, location and years of experience.
In the USA, the average annual pay for a freelance proofreader is $56,712 /year according to ZipRecruiter. The majority of freelance proofreader salaries range between $36,000 to $65,000 across the USA.
Do you need training to become a proofreader?
Though you don’t necessarily need to take a course to gain proofreading knowledge, enrolling in some form of training will make it easier for you to get started on the right foot.
The good thing is you don’t actually need to spend money to access proofreading training. Caitlin Pyle, an expert proofreader who earns over $45, 000 per year, has created a completely FREE proofreading workshop designed to help beginners gain the skills needed to get started.
Click here to get instant access to the FREE proofreading workshop today!
Platforms to Find Online Proofreading Jobs From Home
The following companies/websites have either ongoing or occasional proofreading jobs for work at home people.
1. Proofreading Services – Hires part-time and full-time proofreaders, and welcome applications from any country. They promise flexible working hours and competitive pay ranging from USD 19 to 46 per hour depending on turnaround time.
2. Fiverr – One of the world’s largest marketplaces for digital services. You can use this platform to offer your proofreading services on a global scale. Most of the tasks start at $5 per job but you can charge more once you have good reviews and ratings.
3. Scribendi – Offers editor/proofreader positions for talented freelancers looking to work from home. Must have native-level English ability, a university degree in a relevant field, average editing/proofreading speed of 1,000–1,500 words per hour, windows PC, and at least three years of experience in editing, writing, document production, or language teaching. According to Glassdoor, pay ranges from $18 to $32 per hour.
4. ProofreadingPal – This company is currently seeking qualified applicants for proofreading and editing opportunities. You are hired as an independent contractor. You need to have at least a graduate degree with a minimum of 5 years of professional proofreading and editing experience. Typical pay is between $500 to $3,000 per month.
5. Upwork – A popular platform for freelancers. Clients post a variety of proofreading jobs on here. Once you join the platform and complete your profile, they’ll match you with ideal jobs. You can also search for proofreading jobs, and respond to client invitations.
6. American Journal Experts – Offers opportunities for editors and proofreaders looking to work remotely. Pay ranges from $11 to $25 per hour. Visit their job board to review current openings.
7. Cambridge Proofreading LLC – Offers remote proofreading and editing jobs and careers. Must be a native English speaker and hold at least a bachelor’s degree from a well-respected American, British, or English-speaking university. Must also be able to commit to at least 10,000 words editing per week. Promises flexible working hours with an average pay of USD 20–30 per hour.
Online proofreading jobs from home to boost your income
8. Edit Fast – Offers jobs and employment opportunities for freelance proofreaders, editors and writers. Must have a degree from a recognized university, wide variety of reading interests, and past editing/proofreading experience.
9. Gramlee – Claims to be always seeking great editors and proofreaders to work from home.
10. Guru – Another popular freelancer marketplace. You create a profile and submit quotes to open jobs. Employers will review the quotes and contact you if they choose to hire you.
11. ProofreadNow – Applications aren’t currently open for proofreading jobs at ProofreadNow, but be sure to keep tabs on their site to know when they’ll be hiring again. You must have at leat 5 years of experience as a professional proofreader. This company provides proofreading and editing services for English, Spanish, and Chinese documents.
12. WordsRU – If you have a degree and at least 2 years of professional experience as a proofreader or editor, WordsRU may consider you.
13. Freelancer – Another popular platform similar to Upwork. Many people go here to outsource tasks, including proofreading, to freelancers. You can find a wide variety of proofreading projects ranging from proofreading websites, PhD theses, articles and web content.
More sites to find proofreading jobs from home
14. Indeed – A popular job search board that can help you find proofreading jobs in your area.
15. Editor World – Accepts both proofreaders and editors. Once you sign up and create your profile, clients will be able to contact you if they want to work with you. Your chances of success will depend on your qualifications, skills, and previous client ratings.
16. Book Editing Associates – Hires proofreaders, copy editors and publishing consultants with traditional and self-publishing experience. Must pass a find-the-errors proofreading test to be able to offer proofreading services on their sites.
17. Writer’s Relief Inc. – This company offers proofreading for books, stories, novels, essays, poems, etc. Claim to offer employment to only 2% of applicants. If you’re professional and truly talented, you may be approved to work with them
18. FlexJobs – A leading job search site that specializes in remote, part-time, freelance and flexible jobs. Thousands of companies post flexible jobs on the site, and they also scour the internet for qualifying jobs to add to their platform. You can find plenty of proofreading jobs on this site, but you need a paid membership to browse the jobs. Membership starts at $15 per month, and you can cancel it any time if you don’t like their service.
Ready to get started with online proofreading jobs from home?
Okay, that’s my list of sites and companies that offer online proofreading jobs to freelancers around the world? I hope the information above will help you find good proofreading jobs from home to boost your income.
Obviously, there are many other companies that offer proofreading jobs out there. So if you know of any other platform that you feel should be on the list, please share in the comment section below and I’ll add it. Also, if you have questions about the list or the companies listed above, feel free to ask. Will be happy to help you to the best of my abilities.