Are you a freelancer looking for the best Upwork alternatives? If so, keep reading this article to discover some great alternatives to Upwork for freelancers.
Upwork is undoubtedly one of the most popular online freelance sites. It has, for a long time, been considered a giant in the freelancing world. Sourcing work from Upwork is usually a dream-come-true to a lot of freelancers.
But despite being one of the most trusted freelance site, Upwork comes with its disadvantages. Below are some of them:
- Finding freelancing gigs on Upwork can be difficult. Bidding for gigs as a beginner can be equated to sailing without a compass.
- Upwork blocks profiles of freelancers who do not get enough bid acceptances from the clients.
- Upwork pockets approximately 20% of your earnings as their commission.
It’s the above shortcomings that are making freelancers look for Upwork alternatives, and why I wrote this article. If you are a freelancer looking to quit Upwork, or just looking to explore other sites, you are in the right place. This article gives you the best Upowrk alternatives that will help supercharge your freelancing experience.
Let’s get going.
The best Upwork alternatives for freelancers
Fiverr is an excellent site that hires from all over the world. Some of the most popular freelancing gigs you will find on Fiverr include writing e-books, writing content and reviews, video editing, virtual assistance, graphic design, and photoshop.
Why Choose Fiverr?
- Setting up your Fiverr profile is much easier than setting up your profile on Upwork. It will take you just a few moments to have your profile all set.
- Fiverr allows you to display finished work to potential clients. The client then picks to work with a freelancer whose work tickles their fancy. This saves you the burden of having to bid for work all day long.
- You will also love the free courses that Fiverr offers to its freelancers. The classes will help improve your skills.
- Fiverr is beginner-friendly
To get started, sign up on their page, fill in over 65% of the profile, and select the freelancing services that you can offer. You may have to take a short test to prove your skills.
If you are a software developer, you can earn handsomely from Toptal. They also hire freelance project managers and finance experts. The approval process can be quite intense. However, once you go through the screening process, you will love the work experience and the outcome.
Why Choose Toptal?
- Toptal pays freelancers way better than most freelancing sites.
- The competition in Toptal is not so stiff. They have relatively fewer freelancers compared to many other sites. If you get approved, you will forget about having to bid for work all night long.
To get started, head to their page and click on ‘Apply as a Freelancer.’
PeoplePerHour allows you to find both on-site and online gigs. They have jobs with fixed prices and those charged per hour. Some of the freelance jobs you can find here include writing content, social media management, virtual assistance, and web development.
Their system matches the jobs posted to the most relevant freelancers.
Why Choose Peopleperhour?
- Here, you will forget about constant bidding. The clients who need your service will approach you. You can get hired when offline.
- Once you set up your profile well and get some excellent reviews, the flow of work on PeopleperHour is quite impressive.
To get started, click on ‘work as a freelancer’ on their site. Set up your profile and rates.
Freelancer is a reputable site with a lot of gigs. It’s one of the biggest sites among these Upwork alternatives. This site is vast and very detailed that it may be challenging to navigate through it as a beginner. But once you have figured things out, you will love the outcome.
You can also earn from the contests on the site.
Why Choose Freelancer?
- Freelancer is very vast. There are over 750 categories of freelancing services you can offer on this site. Surely, you cannot miss something to work on from this vastness.
- You will love how quickly you can upgrade on Freelancer. Getting started can be daunting, but once you establish your foundation, you will find lots of long-term projects and recurring clients.
To get started, sign up on their page and set your profile. Start bidding for work once your profile is approved. The client will select the best bid they receive. Be sure to polish your bidding skills and profile to win more jobs.
I highly recommend Textbroker for freelance content writers. The experience here is impressive. The pay here is quite decent compared to many other content mills. It is a sure way to revolutionize your writing talent.
Why Choose Textbroker?
- Textbroker offers its writers tutorials to help them perfect their writing skills. There is always something new to learn as an author or a writer, and Textbroker perfectly understands this.
To get started, head to their site and sign up as a freelancer.
Upwork alternatives to find freelance gigs
You might also like:
- 15 EASY Online Jobs That Pay Through PayPal (FAST!)
- 6 Best Search Engine Evaluator Jobs To Work From Home
- 10 Best Online Tutoring Jobs To Teach From Home
Outsourcely is a platform that connects freelancers to employers remotely. If you are a virtual assistant, you will love the experience on Outsourcely.
Why choose Outsourcely?
- Outsourcely focuses on hiring freelancers for long-term projects. According to the site, 80% of the freelancers are employed on a long-term basis.
- Outsourcely is a platform that connects you directly to the employer. You can work remotely with the employer after you get hired. This lets you earn the most out of your work.
Guru is a platform that lets you create an impressive profile that will attract clients. The trick is to show off your skills and experience on your profile. This is a sure way to get contacted by potential clients.
They have lots of jobs in different categories, making it one of the very best Upwork alternatives.
Clients get their best matches through keyword searches. So ensure your profile can be reached through keyword searches.
Why choose Guru?
- Guru charges a lower commission fee compared to Upwork. They charge approximately 9% as their commission.
To get started, sign up on their page, set an outstanding profile, strike a deal with clients that reach out and get to work.
99designs can be a fantastic site for web designers who are just starting.
On this site, a client posts the work. Designers will then submit their work for a contest. The client selects the winner and pays them. Notice the downside? Yes, only the winner of the contest gets paid.
This can be a put-off, but it’s an excellent way to start your design career. Alternatively, if you believe in your creative mind and skills, this could be the site for you.
Why choose 99design?
- The pay on 99designs is motivating. If your design is selected, you will earn more compared to the payment on other platforms.
If you’re a web designer looking for trusted Upwork alternatives, sign up on their page and set up your profile.
9. Hubstaff Talent
Hubstaff Talent connects freelancers to clients who need their services. Some of the gigs you can find on Hubstaff include content writing, web development, designing, customer and social media management services, and app development.
To get started, sign up on their page, and create a stellar profile. Clients will seek your services depending on your skills and experience.
Why Choose Hubstaff Talent?
- Hubstaff lets you earn your payment fully. They do not make their money from charging a commission on freelancer’s earnings.
FreeeUp is a platform that outsources virtual assistance, digital marketing, content creation, and other freelancing gigs. As a freelancer on FreeeUP, you will forget about the daunting task of bidding.
Here, the FreeeUp team will suggest the best freelancers for a particular task to the clients, one at a time. The client will review the freelancer’s skills, abilities, and profile until they find their best match.
Why choose FreeeUp?
- There is no bidding on FreeeUp. Clients who would like to use your services would reach out to you.
More Upwork Alternatives
iFreelance connects clients to freelancers. It works as a platform that lets the two parties meet, set their working terms and conditions independently. You can meet clients looking for writers, digital marketers, and designers on this platform.
You can communicate with your clients on-site or off-site; there are no limitations, unlike most freelancing sites. Sign up on their page to get started.
Why choose iFreelance?
- On this platform, you will have the privilege to keep all your earnings. The site does not charge anything from what you earn from the client. However, joining this site is not free. You must purchase one of their packages. This will still be worthwhile, for you will not be charged from your earnings.
If the commission deducted from your earnings makes you squirm, this could be another site you love. They connect you to potential clients and let you earn 100% of what your clients pay.
You can find freelancing gigs involving content creation, editing, web and design development, and digital marketing.
Why Choose Workhoppers?
- With Workhoppers, you will earn 100% what your client pays.
To get started, click on ‘I want to work’ on their website. Set an enticing profile and wait to get connected to clients who need your services.
FlexJobs is another of the best Upwork alternatives with all sorts of freelance jobs. It is one of the most reputable sites you should try as a freelancer.
You will love how vast this platform is.
To get started, head to their site and select profiles that describe you best. You will be allowed to customize your profile to attract clients. They have different categories of jobs to suit the life of every freelancer. Start sending bids to land gigs.
The site also has lots of content that will help you excel on the platform.
Why choose Flexjobs?
- The vastness and the organization of this platform are exemplary. You sure will find something to do. Besides, you sure will find something that suits your schedule.
14. Writer Access
If you are a writer looking for a friendly platform to earn from, this could be your best fit. Here, you can land writing gigs of any kind.
They hire freelancers from the US, UK, Canada, Australia, Ireland, and New Zealand.
Why choose Writers Access?
This site uses AI to match you to clients who may need your services. No more bidding for work.
Sign up on their page, undergo a test and screening, and set up your profile. You need a reliable and appealing profile to get started.
Aquent is a platform that links freelancers to prospective clients. It focuses on technical, marketing, digital, and creative domains.
You will need to create a profile that describes your skills and experience. Start using the keyword search to find jobs that match your skills and experience. Apply for as many posts as you want. The client and the Aquent agents will contact you if they think you are the best fit for a job.
Why choose Aquent?
- Aquent lets you send as many bids as you wish. The more submissions you send, the more chances of winning some desirable gigs.
Which of these Upwork alternatives will you choose?
When you mention online freelancing sites, a lot of freelancers’ minds quickly shift to Upwork. Well, it is one of the most trusted and reputable sites, but there are still a lot of great options you can explore.
Explore some of the above alternatives to Upwork for freelancers and find the best fit for you. Get started on your ideal site for a revolutionized freelancing experience.
Did you enjoy this list of the best Upwork alternatives? Have any other freelancing sites you’d like to see added? Let us know in the comment section below.